Residence Hall Work Guideline
These guidelines are intended to assist Facilities Managers, Supervisors, Trades, and Custodial Personnel.
The work guideline described below has been developed to help Facilities staff avoid inadvertent and potentially embarrassing situations with students. This policy provides guidelines for appropriate behavior in Residence Life facilities. This document is not a substitute however, for common sense, as all possible variations of circumstances that a staff member may encounter cannot be defined by any one document.
- Normal working hours within the Residence Halls shall be from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday except for holidays. Emergencies or urgent call-ins are exceptions.
- No staff member shall enter a student’s room without a valid work order unless they are responding to an emergency or call back generated by a member of Residence Life’s staff, Facilities or Public Safety. Upon completion of work in a room where no students are present, a door tag will be left on the door knob indicating the staff member’s name(s), the time of entry and departure, and the work order number. Staff members shall ensure that all doors are locked upon exiting a room, without regard of the status of the door upon entering.
- Staff members entering a student’s room, common bathroom or private studio in response to a work order, emergency or call back, shall knock and announce themselves prior to keying/carding in or opening the door.If there is no response and the staff member does not sense a person within that room, the employee may enter the room. The staff member will place a door hanger on the doorknob indicating their presence. Upon exiting the room, the staff member will complete the front of door tag indicating exit time and whether the work is complete or if a return visit is necessary.
- The back side of the door hanger (Notification of Maintenance) can be used to schedule maintenance work. Technicians will provide their name; date and approximate time (AM /PM) the work will be scheduled.
- Upon entering the room, if the staff member encounters a student who is not appropriately dressed in street clothes or begins to act in a manner the staff member feels uncomfortable with, the staff member shall immediately leave the room without regard to any invitation from the student to stay and shall immediately report the occurrence to their supervisor.
- If a student returns to their room where the staff member is working, and begins to disrobe or use bathing or restroom facilities or begins to act in a manner the staff member feels uncomfortable with, the staff member shall immediately leave without regard to any invitation from the student to stay and shall immediately report the occurrence to their supervisor. If an incident occurs after normal working hours, it should be reported to Public Safety.
- When in a student’s room, the staff member shall not, as much as is practicable, disturb personal items. If there are obstructions that prevent the staff member from completing the task, the staff member will report the issue to their supervisor and leave the room; a door tag will be left on the door. The tag will indicate that maintenance had responded to the work order and explain why the work could not be completed. The staff member will notify their supervisor that the work was not complete. The supervisor will contact the Residence Life office requesting that they work with the student to move items so that repairs or maintenance can be performed.
- As an exception to the above, if the problem is one that, if allowed to continue, would cause additional damage to the facility or student property, the staff member shall take action as necessary to move personal items to gain access to the site. The staff member shall leave a door hanger and notify their supervisor as soon as possible and outline the action taken.
- When an employee is called in after hours, that staff member shall seek a member of the Residence Life staff or Public Safety to accompany them to and into a student’s room, regardless of whether or not the room is occupied.In the event of a fire or flooding emergency, the staff member shall take whatever action is required to mitigate the problem and report such action to their supervisor or to Public Safety immediately. Notify Public Safety when you arrive on campus and again when leaving.
- Staff members shall not unlock doors for anyone without proper identification being provided.
- All outside contractors hired by Facilities to work in a resident’s room will be escorted by a member of the Facilities department. A Facilities staff member or a member of the Residence Life staff or Public Safety staff will remain with the contractor until the work is completed.
Next scheduled review: 7/10/2015
Next scheduled review: 7/10/2021
Campus Services, Facilities Operations
Vice President of Campus Services
Individuals/offices required for review and changes
Director of Facilities Operations
Vice President of Campus Services