Index > Student Academic Policies > Legal Name Change Policy

Legal Name Change Policy

Legal Name Change Policy

All students currently enrolled are granted the opportunity to change their names on institutional records upon the production of legal evidence indicating their name change. Download the Change of Name form from the Registrar's website. The form, along with the appropriate documentation, should be submitted directly to the Registrar’s Office.

At least one (1) of the following documents are required in order to process a legal name change:

  • Certified copy of court order indicating new name in full
  • Marriage license/certificate or Certified copy of Divorce Judgement
  • A government or state issued ID with new name in full

Students who have legally changed their names must also contact the IT Service Desk if they are also requesting an email address/username change.

International students must use the same name on their records as on their documents from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and their passport. Please contact the Office of International Student Services for more information.

After a student graduates or separates from RISD, the student’s academic file is closed. College records are historical documents and are not altered retrospectively. Name changes are applied from the time the change is made forward. For alumni, please contact to update your legal name. If appropriate, contact the Registrar's Office to reflect the name change on the official transcript.

Please visit the Registrar’s website for guidance on ordering a new diploma.