Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree Requirements
- A minimum cumulative grade-point average of 2.00.
- A minimum of two full-time years’ on the RISD campus in a program leading to a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree.
- Satisfactory completion of the final semester and degree project as a full-time student at the College--normally in the second semester of the senior year (fifth year for B.Arch students).
- Payment of all financial obligations to the College or satisfactory arrangements for such payment.
- Filing a Graduation Application in the senior year by the established deadline.
- Completion of a minimum of 126 credits, including:
- Foundation Studies Studios 18 credits
- Major 54 credits (Refer to the curriculum outlines in the current Course Announcement.)
- History of Art and Visual Culture 12 credits (Including HAVC H101 and HAVC H102.)
- Literary Arts and Studies 9 credits (Including LAS E101.)
- History, Philosophy and the Social Sciences 9 credits (Including HPSS S101. S101 is a prerequisite for further Fall and Spring elective study in the department of HPSS.)
- Additional electives in Liberal Arts 12 credits (This category includes four courses chosen from electives in any of the above areas (HAVC, LAS, HPSS) or from a pool of other courses which carry Liberal Arts credit (courses designated as SCI OR LAEL which includes courses in mathematics, the natural sciences, theater, and the history of specific studio disciplines, among others.)
- Non-major Studio Electives 12 credits. Typically, studio courses taken outside of one’s major. However, up to 6 of the 12 credits may be in non-major electives that are neither Liberal Arts nor visual art or design studio, such as engineering, music, or theater. Students must get the approval of their department head before registering for a course expected to substitute for a non-major studio. Beginning in 2016, Brown | RISD Dual Degree students may substitute up to 12 credits of their choosing for the RISD non-major studio electives.
Total Credits for BFA: 126 credits