Academic Appeals & Exception to Academic Policy
Academic Appeals and Exception to Academic Policy
Students may request an exception, for cause, to academic standards or regulations using the ‘Request for Exception to Academic Policy’ form. In order to consider a student’s request for exception, the Academic Standing Committee (ASC) requires the following:
- A ‘Request for an Exception to Academic Policy’ form from the student which includes a clear, detailed explanation and detailed reasoning for the exception. The student’s plan to complete degree requirements and a current program evaluation should be attached. Cases are reviewed based on the information submitted. See the Registrar’s Office for the ‘Exception to Academic Policy’ forms and the necessary recommendations required for each specific exception to policy.
Recommendations may be required, when applicable, from the following:
- A recommendation from a course instructor
- A recommendation from the student’s Academic Advisor
- A recommendation from the student’s Graduate Program Director (graduate students only)
- A recommendation from the student’s Department Head
- A recommendation from the student’s Division Dean
- A recommendation from the Dean of Liberal Arts when the request is in regard to Liberal Arts, or from the Dean of the Division offering the course if the course is outside the student’s program division
- A recommendation from the Office of Student Affairs or Disability Support Services when applicable
- A recommendation from the Office of International Student Services, if a student is on an F-1 Visa
Students will receive instructions from the Registrar’s Office for submitting their Exception to Academic Policy requests. Note, there are specific deadlines for filing some requests. Check the Registrar’s website for more information. The ASC meets monthly. Students should take this timeframe into account when requesting exceptions for items that need timely response. The student will be notified of the Committee decision via their RISD email.