Academic Appeals and Exception to Academic Policy – Graduate
Students may request an exception, for cause, to academic standards and regulations. In order to process a student’s request for exception, the Academic Standing Committee (ASC) may require the following:
An appeal statement (petition) from the student which includes an explanation of grounds for the exception. Exception to Policy forms are available at the Registrar’s Office.
- A recommendation from a course instructor, when applicable.
- A recommendation from the student’s Department Head.
- A recommendation from the student’s Division Dean.
- A recommendation from the Dean of Liberal Arts when the request is in regard to Liberal Arts, or from the Dean of the division offering the course if the course is outside the student’s major division.
- A recommendation from the Dean of Student Affairs if the student’s petition is for medical reasons, or otherwise when applicable.
Students will receive instructions for filing their Exception to Academic Policy from the Registrar’s Office when they pick up the form. There are deadlines for filing some requests. Check the Registrar’s website for more information. The ASC meets monthly. Students should take this timeframe into account when requesting exceptions for items that need timely response. The student will be notified of Committee decision promptly via email to their risd.edu address.